Our First Date and Other Stuff

Thursday, July 23, 2015


For some reason, I keep thinking about our first date.  He told me that he wanted to test drive a QX80.  I thought he was joking.  He wasn't.  When we met up, we went to Herrin Gear to test drive the QX80.  He introduced me as his wife to the salesman.  I looked at him like he was crazy.  He told the salesman that he was looking for a vehicle for his five children.  I kept thinking... "This man has lost his mind."  The test drive was super fun.  Needless to say, he would not only get the truck, but he eventually purchased me a car.  (I am still in disbelief about that fact.)


Next, we went to the JSU game.  I can't even remember who JSU was playing because I was so impressed with him.  He was such a gentleman. He made sure I didn't walk on the curb. He parked so that I could still be cute in my heels and not "bust a sweat" walking to the stadium.  I was just floored that someone could be so genuine and nice.  When we arrived to the stadium, we sat with a friend and her family.  My children were with their father in the vicinity.  They immediately came to sit with me.  However, their father demanded that they return because I was with a man.  That was the first time he had seen me with anyone since we divorced in 2010.  My ex-husband was tripping, which wasn't a surprised. Surprisingly, my date wasn't even phased, and he told me not to worry about it.  I looked at him like he was crazy again.  However, I calmed down immediately. How did he have such a calming affect on me!?! Shoot, he still keeps me calm now. Anyway, we watched the game, laughed, and left to go eat.

Having been cheated on by my ex-husband the entire time we dated and the entire marriage, I was floored when we went to Ichiaban, and he ONLY SAW ME.  There were so many women trying to get his attention.  He ignored them.  I was just staring at him like what in the world.  They were half-naked, and he didn't even give them another glance.  He did not have wondering eyes.  Even now, women do that while we are out and about.  He ignores them.  Never before have I been in the presence of someone, who valued you me so much.  He valued me then and didn't even know me.

After dinner, we went to the Reservoir and talked.  He never asked to come to my apartment, even though he knew my children were not with me.  He never made any sexual innuendoes. We had a conversation like we were friends from way back when.  Even after the date part was over, we didn't want to part.  He didn't invite me to his hotel room. Instead, I gave him a tour of Metro Jackson and talked more.  Every since then, we have been inseparable.  

I never would have thought that I would have been blessed to meet someone, who would turn my life in such a positive direction. I mean he was there when I took my doctoral comprehensive exams. He sent me texts cheering me up and motivating me.  During my comprehensive exams, he helped me take my children to school. We hadn't been together a month, and he was doing things for me to help me, so that I wouldn't lose it. After my exams had drained the living day out of me, he took me out of town and made me live a lot.  He was there to cheer me up, when I discovered that I had only passed two parts of my exam. He was there when my children were sick and brought medicine. He treated them like his own children.  When I almost bled to death and had to have emergency surgery, he stepped up and took care of everything.  I didn't have to ask for anything.

Never would I have thought that he would propose to me, and we would be married after four months.  As I type, his son is doing cartwheels in my belly.  I am so proud to be his wife and the mother of his child.  To have a man, who works 13+ hours, and still finds time to spend with his wife and children (yes, my children are not his step children, but his children), I cannot help but thank God for him.  He may be tired and aching, but he still rubs his wife's pregnant and swollen un-pedicured feet without complaining. :)

Many people have their opinions about people getting a divorce.  If I hadn't gotten a divorce, I would have never experienced how it feels to be truly loved and treated like a queen.  Not only does he treats my children and I great, but he treats my family like his family.  We pray together. We pray for each other.  He supported my decision to transfer schools.  He even keeps tabs on when my homework is due to help remind me to submit.  

The picture I posted was the first one that we ever took together.  The glow that I have just appeared out of nowhere.  I am so happy. I have never been this happy before in my life.  Please do not give up on love.  It can happen.  It happened to me.  

When I met him, I truly had given up hope on having finding true love.  I have so many horror stories about dating. From a man dating me and my college classmate at the same time (which I found out via Facebook) to meeting men, who were not interested in a relationship,  I have a story to tell.  

However, the best story is still being written.  I pray that God continues to bless us.  I am in this for the long haul.  



You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

Subscribe