2014 - A Year of Self-Discovery

Monday, January 20, 2014

I had to decide on exactly the direction I wanted my blog to go this year. Last year, I was focused on so many things and accomplished a lot of things that contributed to my external well-being.  This year, I decided to focus  on contributing to my internal well-being.  This year I am focusing on continuing to have a sound mind, healthy body, and personal happiness.

Being divorced can affect your mind, and I am determined to keep my sound mind.  I have numerous talents, which I failed to keep up.  This year, I am back exploring and developing my talents.  I started back using my Canon EOS Camera.  I love taking images of nature. For me, being surrounded by nature brings me true peace and happiness. My posts will have more images, as I explore my photography skills and improve them.

Rowan Oak in Oxford has turned into one of my favorite places to visit when I go home.  Sometimes, I like to sit and write.
  Absorbing the sung and the grounds, I imagine how William Faulkner must have felt as he penned his masterpieces.


Signing up for a Hancock Fabric card, I brought back my sewing machine, and I am going to teach my daughter (and sons, if they want to learn) how to sew.  I can knit and crochet, so we will be making scarves and blankets.  Having a Hancock Fabric store down the street from me is perfect.

Additionally, I plan to get more involved in church.  I love going to Pilgrim Rest M. B. Church in Madison.  The children are very active. Now, I need to get more active.  Being with the church family on yesterday spoke to my soul.  I was tired from being gone all day, but it was so worth the experience.

Working on my body, I have been transitioning to vegan.  Having a desire to be vegan for years now, I am finally embarking on the transition.  I cook more, which allows me the opportunity to bond with the children.  Cooking saves me money.  Planning things has always been important to me.  Eating vegetarian/vegan style requires planning.  Yesterday, I made vegan pancakes.  This morning, I baked banana muffins. I love hearing the children ask for them.   I added fenugreek powder and flaxseed to the recipe this time.  


In addition, I have started meditating more and doing yoga at home.  I am looking forward to spring. Somehow, I work on more in the spring.  Winter workouts are a struggle.  I recently discovered spin class.  That was the best workout ever.  This year I will become an official runner.  I am trying to figure out how to add Black Girls Run to my schedule.  I am excited about running.  I was an athlete wayyyy back in the day.  I was going to be a naval officer and went with others opinions and not my own.  I wonder if it is too late. 

Furthermore, this year I am determined to have a healthy body.  I want to live a long, healthy life. Since working on my PhD and being divorced, I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, two discs bulges in my back, and irritable bowel syndrome. In 2012,  I dealt with cholecystectomy and removal of hemangioma. I almost died in 2012.  I still have two tumors on my liver.  I am not worried about any of these diagnoses because I am healing my body and believing for my healing.

My happiness calls for me to indulge in what makes me happy. I love to collect, read, collect, and read books.  I am a bibliophile.  Judge me, if you want. Being surrounded by books is peaceful to me.  

On Friday, I built a six feet tall, 4 feet wide book case, which is partially shown behind me above.  Unfortunately, my bookcase wasn't big enough.  I stacked books on the sides of the bookcase and on top.  

This year I am going to do things that make me happy.  Focusing on what makes others happy causes you to miss out on taking care of yourself.

2014 will be the year that I remove all of debris and excavate my true self.  I am excited about how much progress I have made in the past 20 days.  Since I will be turning 32 next month,  I think this year is perfect for me to organize and operate as my authentic self.


If you enjoyed reading this post, share on http://delicious.com/ or http://digg.com/.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. “This year I am going to do things that make me happy.” – What a great goal to start your year, Cassandra! Divorce may be the end of a relationship, but it doesn’t mean the end of our life. This is really the best time to rediscover the things in our life that could make us a better person, just like you do. Thanks for sharing your journey. You’re definitely an inspiration.

    Bill @ Sherrill & Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for reading and sharing. You are right. Divorce is the end of a relationship; however, life does not have to end with divorce. Have an awesome year. Hope you keep reading.

    ReplyDelete

SUBSCRIBE

Subscribe