AGING

Sunday, May 26, 2013

AGING IS NOT LOST YOUTH BUT A NEW STAGE OF OPPORTUNITY AND STRENGTH - BETTY FRIEDAN
Having cried and hollered over discovering my first grey hair, I am not as distraught as before about getting older.  Betty Friedan's quote stated above becomes a new reality for me.  I am starting to understand more about my on strength.  I understand now that a lot of what I did and thought depended on others. Whether my friends, my family, my professors, my classmates, my ex-husband, someone's beliefs, desires, thought patterns,  and etc... dictated what I did, what I thought, how I acted, and how I responded.

Being divorced forces you to start thinking for yourself and doing for yourself.  Everyone's experience is different.  Even though someone can understand what you may be experience, no one understands completely. In addition, some people do not even care.  Being designed to be compassionate for others, I find it baffling when people do not care like I believe they should, especially if I care for them and their situation.

Aging no longer scares me and proves that I have arrived.  With each new strand of grey hair I find, I appreciate them even more.  Each strand shows me that I have earned them by living through all my trials and tribulations, pushing when I really do not want to push, and embracing the positive and negative of my life's journey.

*This post was inspired by my friend, Talibah.  Hold on to friends who encourage you to remain true to yourself.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

Subscribe