Dating After Divorce

Sunday, November 27, 2011

After years of being in an often complicated and dysfunctional relationship, I am back on the market for dating. I'm learning that this phenomenon of dating is extremely complicated and difficult.  My self-esteem has been boosted tremendously by my divorce, but I'm worried about possessing the skills and ability to date and be in a relationship. Having a different outlook on life, due to my past life experiences, I don't have an overflowing pool of single men to indulge in right now. Since I have been officially single, the number of real dates I have been on are surprisingly low. I'm also learning that my old-fashinoed perception of dating doesn't necessarily coincide with the current trend of the word, "dating." I've grown so much that I know my self-worth and know how much I have to offer in a relationship. I'm kind, intelligent, strong, affectionate, caring, authentic, and genuine. I expect the same in return. Unfortunately, this expectation isn't exactly helping me to be the "date-able" kind. I can't lower my expectations. I just don't see me benefitting from being a desperate and insecure woman. What man could benefit from me being insecure and desperate? I think the answer is none.  I am petrified to open up again.  I don't want to fall in the trap of exposing who I am to end up being taken advantage of, rejected, or hurt. However, I want to open up and be a part of a relationship. I want to experience a relationship, which is not dysfunctional.  I want to experience how it would be to be in a relationship with a man, who compliments me and I compliment him.

What is your opinion on dating in the 21st century? How have you dealt with dating after divorce? What advice do you have for me?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

Subscribe