No Spend Month: March 1

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Today, I begin a new chapter in my life. After reading Frugalista Files, I have decided to follow a new path.  During the month of March, I am taking total control of my spending habits.  Often times I find myself soothing my emotional wounds by spending hard-earned money on unnecessary things.  Ultimately, these temporary wants only provide inconsistent satisfaction and long-term implications on my finances.  Since I am going through a divorce, I have become more aware of my spending habits.

When I am having a really bad day, I crave one fix...my "Venti White Chocolate Mocha with an extra espresso shot, whipped cream, and chocolate drizzle." My mouth is watering just thinking about it. How much money do I spend at Starbucks? I refuse to confess about my addiction. Let's just say a Chloe bag with actual money overflowing in it could result from this addiction.

During the month of March I will spend money only on necessities. I will only purchase things like gas for my car, pay my bills, and buy food. Nothing more.  I really wanted to squeeze in a fill-in for my Solar Nails and a pedicure, but time was limited, so I am "stuck like chuck." I am just going to have to make things work, unless someone looks at my hands and feet and feels soooo sorry for me. lol

So how did I spend my first day of cutting back...at Starbucks, of course! However, don't scold me just yet.  Ironically, I received a postcard in the mail on yesterday for a free drink. Did I over-indulge myself? I surely did. I upgraded my drink. I had a "Venti White Chocolate Mocha with Soy Milk, an extra shot of espresso, whipped cream, and chocolate drizzle." Was it good? It surely was. It was good to the last drop.

After that wonderful experience, I went to St. Dominic New Direction Ballroom Dancing Class. Boy, I had myself a ball. Ironically, the class is free. I met the dance instructor and some other people Saturday night at Underground 119. The class was so much fun.  I did learn more than just dance techniques. I learned how not to focus on being right so much, but let things flow. I learned not to get so frustrated with myself, when I make a mistake. Just correct it and keep it moving.

Perhaps, this month won't be so bad.  Two weeks ago, I cut off all my hair. (I'm participating in a hair challenge...that's another blog post).  This week I am transforming finances.  I promise you. I am on a journey to true fulfillment. One step at a time.

Now, since you have read all of this blogpost. I want to ask you to join in with me on this "No Spend Month." I know this is Spring Break month, but normally during Spring Break I spend money to keep me and the kids entertained. Guess what?! Not this month.  I will find new things to do. Even if you can't do it for the entire month, why don't you fast from one unnecessary want for the month of March.?What could it hurt? Nothing. What could it help? Your bank account. Do you have at least 8 months of living expenses saved?  I know that currently I don't. I do have two savings accounts though: one for family emergencies and one for myself. I would love for both of them to be full. How is your financial health? What could you do better?  Let me know if you will participate in this challenge with me.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. The month is almost over. I am counting the days down! LOL! Have you ever did a challenge like this!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you doing "No Spend Month" for April too?

    I have made a conscious decision to ask myself a question before any purchase. Is this a need or just a want? That simple question has drastically cut down on frivolous spending.

    ReplyDelete

SUBSCRIBE

Subscribe